Friday, November 15, 2013

CROSSING THE THAMES (A Masterpiece by John Payne)

Crossing The Thames at McBride Gallery, Annapolis, MD by John Payne - American Artist

One fine summer day in August of this year, as I was touring my favorite art galleries in historic Annapolis, I came across this mind blowing masterpiece. It was hanging in McBride Gallery - one of the most coveted galleries in the area. The photograph does not do any justice to this painting so I will do my best to describe what I personally experienced.

This painting magically teleported me back in time. The experience was unbelievable. I felt as if I was right there standing in the middle of this bridge witnessing all that was unfolding right before me. I could hear the spokes of the bicycle wheels and strange sounds of vintage vehicles passing right through me. In the distance I could hear the chimes of the Big Ben. I could feel the smouldering smog of London. I could see the cloudy and damp weather impressing on and around me. The people and objects looked hyper-real as if I can reach out and actually touch them.

John Payne's painstaking paintings are truly a sight to behold. If you are ever in historic Annapolis, do visit the McBride art gallery and experience the evocative paintings by this Marylander painter yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment